In honor of National Pancake Day (February 28, 2012), I made up a batch of Sticky Bun Pancakes. They were delicious, sweet, and and induced a tummy ache pretty much immediately after I ate them. But oh-so-worth it! Read on for the easy recipe and more photos!
(my own creation)
2 cups whole pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
Boxed pancake mix, plus the required add-in’s (egg, oil, milk)
Pure maple syrup
1) Using the pecans, brown sugar, and butter, make up a batch of candied pecans (go to Cafe Johnsonia for a great step-by-step how-to on this, but note that I used brown sugar instead to get more of a sticky bun-ny flavor). Chop half the cooled pecans into smaller pieces and reserve the other half.
2) Make pancake batter according to boxed directions (or whip up a batch of your own made-from-scratch pancake batter).
3) After pouring the batter onto the hot pan, once the batter bubbles up a bit, sprinkle the chopped up candied pecans on top and flip.
4) Tower your pancakes on a plate, garnish with tons of the whole candied pecans, and drown them in pure maple syrup.
5) Go into a serious sugary food coma.