Makes 6-8 pitas
1 package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1-1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Let sit for 15 minutes until water is frothy.
- Combine flours and salt in large bowl.
- Make small depression in middle of the flour and pour yeast in depression.
- Slowly add 1 cup of water and stir with wooden spoon until elastic. Continue folding with the spoon or turn out and knead for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Coat the bowl with oil and turn dough in the bowl to coat the surface.
- Cover the bowl and leave it in a warm area for up to 3 hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out into a rope and pinch off 8-10 pieces. Roll the pieces into balls and let sit, covered for 10 minutes. Meantime, preheat the oven to 500 degrees and make sure rack is near the bottom of the oven. Preheat the baking sheet.
- Roll out each ball into 5-6″ circles about 1/4″ thick.
- Bake each circle for 4 minutes until the bread puffs up. Turn over and bake an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove each pita and add additional pitas for baking. Immediately place the pitas in storage bags.
Pitas can be stored for up to a week, or up to a month in the freezer.