Fried Fruit Puffs
3 oz jujube (Chinese red date), pitted and cut into small pieces
4 oz raisins (chopped into smaller pieces)
3 oz dried apricots (chop into smaller pieces)
1 oz shredded coconut (roughly chop)
3 T. white sesame seeds (toasted in un-greased pan for about 30 seconds)
1/2 c. smooth peanut butter
1/2 t. salt
3 T. sugar
1/4 c. corn starch
1/4 c. lotus root powder
3 T. rice flour
1/4 t. red food coloring
- essence of your choice (i.e. jasmine)
8 large egg whites (beat until stiff)
2 c. cooking oil (peanut)
garnish of your choice (i.e. powdered sugar)
- Combine jujubes, raisins, apricots, coconut, sesame seeds, peanut butter, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Roll approximately 2 T of the mixture into a ball shape and place on a greased sheet pan.
- Combine coating mixture and then roll fruit balls in the mixture until coated well, set back on sheet pan.
- Beat egg whites vigorously until very stiff.
- Heat 2 c. cooking oil in pre-heated wok to 300 degrees. Dip flour coated fruit balls one at a time and deep fry until light brown. Remove balls to sheet pan lined with paper towels.